Sunday 12 May 2013

Busyness and pressure

I've been so busy with uni and work recently I've barely had time to paint. Something happened recently though- I began to enjoy writing my novel. Now as most people write novels because its what they want to do, this doesn't seem so strange a thing to happen. The thing is that I've not enjoyed writing for about two years, and that has a lot to do with me and my indecisiveness in what I want to do. I have always adored drawing and painting, but writing was a love of mine that only kicked in at the age of 16 or so. It derived from an intense love of reading and wanting to write a novel I'd love to read myself. However art has always been my first love and it had been the direction I was heading throughout all of my highschool years. It was only in the last months of year.12 that I made the decision to go with writing over art. My reasoning at the time being that I'd always keep up my art no matter what, but I needed motivation to continue writing. And I will say, doing my writing course has done so much for my writing and I'm grateful to now have those skills, but in all honesty, that reasoning was absolute crap. It wasn't exactly that I was afraid of what people would think of my choosing to study art, it was that I believed it might be viewed as more 'academically' pleasing and impressive to be studying writing. I think this has a lot to do with the school environment I grew up in. I was continuously taught by many teachers and authority figures that art (and to a less extent, English/ writing), was a hobby, not a profession. If I wanted a career I needed to focus on maths and business and that was that. My talents and passions were belittled until I began to feel that I was worth less than those people who were academically brilliant and were headed towards completing degrees that would catapult them straight into big money making jobs that are apparently the only definitions of success.
I know better now and feel more confident in my talents than I once did and am glad I've done my writing course as its been a learning experience that's taught me much about life as well as the written word. I'm also excited to begin creating my own pieces of art in the coming year and hopefully getting somewhere further with that.
But for now, I shall drink my tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment